Friday, September 11, 2015

Naming Binary Compounds


This flowchart helps me to differentiate how each binary compound is named. By using the flowchart, I am able to determine which type of binary compound it is, as well as, how the compound would be named. If a binary compound doesn't contain a metal, it is a Type III binary compound and is named using prefixes. When there is a metal present in the binary compound, it is either a Type I or Type II binary compound. In order to differentiate between Type I and Type II, one must look at whether the metal forms more than one cation. If the metal doesn't form more than one cation, it's a Type I binary compound and is named using the element name for the cation. When a metal does form more than one cation, it's a Type II binary compound and is named by determining the charge of the cation and using a Roman numeral after the element name for the cation.





No comments:

Post a Comment